Marianne works with Castle on the compliance team as a Coordinator. If you ring Castle you will get to speak to Marianne or one of her colleagues and they will answer any questions you might have about Section 19 permits.

What is a Section 19 Permit?

A Section 19 Permit can be granted to schools or organisations that operate on a not-for-profit basis or have charitable status. In place of requiring an operator’s license to operate your minibuses at the school.

Can you charge for minibuses under a Section 19 Permit?

Under a Section 19 Permit, you’re able to cover your costs of the transport, or more indirectly, the trips that you’re using the vehicles for, but you’re not able to profit or seek to profit from the activity.

How do we get a Section 19 Permit?

To get a Section 19 Permit, it’s a simple process. You just need to complete a DVSA application form and submit it online along with the fee of £11, and that will go to the traffic commissioner to grant your permit.

Link to Section 19 application form

Changes to the Section 19 Permit

The application form changed for the Section 19 Permit in May 2021. You now need to evidence your minibus safety inspections and prove that you are having them carried out. The DVSA recommends at least every 10 weeks. You can indicate who is carrying out your safety inspections and who is carrying out the maintenance on your vehicles. You also need to submit supporting evidence that you are having this carried out.

Safety inspections are in addition to MOTs and services. More information can be found on the DVSA guide to roadworthiness or our blog on  Minibus Safety Inspections

See page 11 of the application form with the maintenance questions below.

For more information on Section 19 Permit and safety inspections visit the gov website or give our compliance team a call on 01869 253744 who will help you.

Follow our Facebook page for more information and videos on minibus safety and compliance, as well as how Castle can help you.