Schools need a Section 19 Permit if they want to operate their vehicles for reward or hire but not profit from them avoiding the need for a full PSV Operators Licence. A Section 19 Permit allows not-for-profit and charitable-status schools and organisations to cover the costs of running their vehicles and allows drivers with standard car licences to drive vehicles under 3500kg provided they meet certain criteria.