A Section 19 Permit is valid for 5 years and then needs to be replaced. You do not need a permit if the vehicle is ‘off-road’. You need to inform the DVSA or the designated body that issued your permit of any changes such as the change of name of your organisation, as your permit will need to be replaced (this includes changing to Academy status). Permits can not be altered by hand and must be replaced if too faded to read clearly.